Thursday, July 11, 2013

Filippo Berio EVOO



 

I expected to get coupons for Filippo Berio olive oil for this BzzCampaign. Imagine my surprise when what I got was a bottle of actual olive oil in the mail! Also included was a nifty butter/margarine to olive oil conversion chart magnet that went straight on my fridge.


I love olive oil and use it nearly everyday for cooking. That said, I still had some of my olive oil from another brand to use up and only recently was able to start using the Filippo Berio olive oil.

We always use an olive oil bottle for easily dispensing oil. That way we don't use too much or too little. I rarely use olive oil in baking, so I don't usually have to use a big amount.


As I said, we only recently got open the bottle of Filippo Berio. Aside from using it on the grill over the Independence Day holiday, we've used it for two things: Mozzarella, tomato and basil panini and baked chicken.


Baked chicken is a quick go-to meal for me. I make it all the time. As you see in the picture, I place the chicken in a glass dish that has been coated in olive oil and pour a bit of olive oil on the top of the chicken. Then I put a bit of seasoning on the top. I cut my chicken in strips so it cooks faster, so with this method it would be 425 degrees for 30 minutes. If you use bone-in pieces, you will have to increase the time.

The chicken stays juicy with nice flavor. If you are cooking bone-in pieces, it will leave the skin nice and crispy with juicy meat. Without olive oil, you get mushy skin, leaving the texture of the chicken a little less than desired.

The other recipe is as follows:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mozzarella, tomato and basil panini

Ingredients:
Fresh mozzarella (Not sliced sandwich cheese or shredded cheese, the soft cheese usually found in the cheese department or dairy case.)
One large tomato (I prefer heirlooms.)
Fresh basil
Crusty bread (We used a Tuscan bread.)
Fillipo Berio olive oil

Lightly coat panini press in olive oil and heat the press.
Brush one side of two slices of bread with olive oil. Place one piece on the press.
Layer a thick slice of mozzarella with a thick slice of tomato and several basil leaves on the bread. Top with the second piece of bread. Lower the top of the panini press until the sandwich is warm and toasty.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was the perfect recipe for olive oil. The flavor was light and pleasant and worked well with the simple ingredients of the panini.

I liked Filippo Berio olive oil. I'm not sure I would buy it in the future because I've used other EVOOs that have a nice flavor that don't cost as much.

Overall, thumbs up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone can comment, but be civil. I reserve the right to moderate the comments if I think they are inappropriate.